History of Most Holy Saviour, Agrar 

Location :

This church is situated at a distance of 35 kms to the north-east of Mangalore, and is surrounded by Farla, Loreto, Bantwal and Vamadapadav parishes.

History :

Agrar means the village of Brahmins and is derived from the Kannada word Agrahara. Once the most extensive parish of the Diocese, extending from Bantwal to Charmadi boarders and from the Nethravathi river to the Gurpur river, it is certain that the Agrar church existed even prior to the founding of the Bantwal church in 1702 by Fr Miguel D’Mello. There are no records available to show the exact date of the origin of the church at Agrar. Fr Jose da Costa was the Vicar at Agrar in 1751. Tipu Sultan had demolished the first chruch. It was rebuilt on the same foundation after the return of the Christians from the captivity. No chronological list of the parish priests prior to 1801 is available. The church was rebuilt, expanded, and renovated by Fr Camil Baretto in 1889. Br Moscheni sj, artistically painted its sanctuary in 1902. Fr R.F.C. Mascarenhas built the presbytery in 1914. The church has been renovated on the occasion of the tri-centenary of the founding of the parish in 2002. New parishes of Belthangady in 1885, Madanthyar in January 1893, Siddakatte on May 1, 1926, Nirkan on May 25, 1930, Allipade on May 22, 1938 Loreto on November 1, 1939, and Farla on December 8, 1994 were carved out of this once extensive parish. The Agrar parish manages and runs two Schools known as Agrar Church Higher Primary School and Christa Jyoti High School.

- Source : mangalorean.com

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Home | News | About Us | Sitemap | Contact

Copyright © 2015 - www.catholictime.com. All rights reserved.

Powered by eCreators.